Monday, June 15, 2009

Weekly Project 6/14 - Sewing cloth diapers

With three moves in the last year (yep, three), we've fallen victim to what I call convenience diapering, i.e. using disposables. Before the moves, my husband and I were passionate about cloth diapering. However due to a series of strange circumstances, we found it nearly impossible to keep cloth diapering. Now that we're finally settled, I'm ready to start up again. There's even 2 new bottles of Charlie's Soap down by the washer. The only problem?

He's outgrowing our stash!

So what's a good ecomommy on a very tight budget to do? Put her resources to work for her (my resources = sewing machines + fabric!)

So this week I am sewing up a stash of cloth diapers. I'm basing my design off different elements of cloth diaper brands I really like.

I'll be posting tutorials throughout the week and pictures of my progress. I'm making both pockets and fitteds. I plan on trying my hand at prefolds in the future when we have larger stash needs (wink wink). If you would like to sew along, gather up the following supplies and watch for my next post.

Paper grocery bag or newspaper
pencil
your fave cloth diaper (the one that fits your child the best)
fabric of your choice (I am using microfleece, bamboo fleece, knit, and PUL)
1/4" elastic

If you want to buy fabric, you can try to find some flannels and knits at your local cloth store. Or you can pick some up online at www.wazoodle.com or www.celticclothwholesale.com

If you don't have a favorite cloth diaper to base your pattern on, you can use some of the patterns from Celtic Cloth here (there's also a great sling pattern!)

No comments: