Thursday, January 21, 2010

Couponing: Live like no one else!

Josh and I are attending Financial Peace University and tonight was a lesson on cash flow planning. Dave Ramsey discusses in the video that when he and his wife first started budgeting and doing the envelope system, they had a grocery budget of $500, which he says was a lot back then. I immediately thought, geez! $500! I would kill to have a $500 grocery budget. Our budget for groceries, personal care, laundry and more is $200/month, and I would like to get that down to less than $150 so we can put the other $50 in savings.

And then it hit me, we do get almost $500/month in groceries. I'm saving between $200-350/month couponing and sale shopping. Coupons are essentially money in your pocket. Some people think of them as inconvenient or an affront to their pride, but my goodness if you aren't couponing, I want you to consider something. I just told you I save over $200/month by couponing a couple hours a week - what could you do with $200, $300, or more a month? What bills could you pay? What could you save for? Even if you don't need the extra money, it's almost criminal not to take advantage. And if you do need the money, give it a try! It's a little tricky at first but well worth it.

No comments: