Monday, February 1, 2010

Frugal find: Easy loose leaf tea brewing


I've been enjoying Earth Mama Angel Baby Heartburn Relief Tea the last few weeks. The only problem? It's a loose leaf tea and my muslin tea bag has disappeared. My guess? Josh tossed it and I can't really blame him. I had a hard time getting all the bits of tea of it myself. We use to have a tea ball. You know one of those metal balls that you can fill with tea and steep in your cup. Not sure what happened to it. All in all, I didn't get much use out of the muslin bag and I don't feel like spending the extra money to go buy a new tea ball.

The solution? Coffee filters! A simple paper filter can be set down in the cup and filled with loose leaf tea. Pour hot water over it and let steep for 2 minutes. Then simply pick up the filter at the top and all the tea will come with it. I keep a small bowl on the counter and put my filter and tea in it for an additional steeping. If you are buying high quality tea, you should be able to get 2-3 steepings.

I think of this as a frugal find because it serves two purposes. We use the filters for coffee and tea, and it's something almost everyone already has in their house!

No comments: